Monday, June 6, 2011

Shamefully overdue...

I come to you tonight with the proverbial tail between my legs. I have not been reading Lysa's book for over a month, I have not been following a healthy eating/exercise plan for the same amount of time, nor have I been faithful in prayer for this journey (or anything for that matter).  I feel the need to be completely honest, because I haven't been very good at that lately...

Over the weekend, I was convicted of these and more shortcomings that I've allowed myself to fall victim to as of late. Chief among them is laziness. There's really no other word that encompasses all that I've been struggling with in the last few weeks. Laziness that has become so deep-seeded in my being that I have allowed it to hold me captive from all of my commitments - my eating/exercise habits, my time with God, my marriage, my other relationships... I've just curled up in a "Becca shell" lately and haven't had any motivation to come out.

The opposite of lazy (according to dictionary.com) is "industrious," meaning, "working energetically and devotedly; hard-working; diligent." My focus going forward is to be industrious, to be like the woman in Proverbs 31, to be like the ant in many other Proverbs, to be like other women I admire for being this way: my mother, my mother-in-law, my sisters, many of my friends. I am ashamed of how I've been acting lately - please forgive me if I have particularly hurt you by my actions, or lack thereof.

Lord, help me to be...
industrious
(aka)
active
attentive
careful
conscientious
constant
eager
earnest
persistent
steadfast
studious

"Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." -Proverbs 31:25-27

2 comments:

  1. My wife is being a bit hard on herself. The house has remained sanitary, and I've had a home-cooked meal every night. This after she works a full day at school.

    She's not Wonder Woman, but she's not lazily sitting on the couch all day, every day eating bon-bons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca!
    I can relate to your post, but I do agree with your husband's comment!! I often feel like I'm being lazy, and maybe part of the time we really aren't being productive. However, you do still accomplish what you need to! I feel lazy when I get home after work, sometimes my eating habits take the toll as I crave junk as a reward. But to be honest, my home is clean, the bills are paid, and first and foremost I'm in communion with God. It's hard as a woman to fight that mental laziness, the sense of dread in everyday tasks sometimes. It is important for us to rest, though, and I can honestly say there are times melting into the couch is beneficial for me haha.

    I'll be praying for you to accomplish the goals you've set, and that God gives you the encouragement you need to be as industrious as He's calling you to be. Meanwhile, His grace suffices :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete